Friday, November 6, 2009

The Perfect World?

What would life be like if Adam and Eve had not sinned?

Boring. That's what life would be like if Adam and Eve had not sinned. Although that act was the beginning of a lifetime of suffering, I'd like to argue that it was for the better. It may seem absurd to say that suffering is beneficial and welcomed, but let's be honest: "Is it fun to live a perfect life?"

I've learned more things through suffering than I ever have by succeeding. It's in the midst of my agony that God speaks the loudest to me. But the beautiful thing about suffering is that I don't have to go through it alone. Jesus Christ has already experienced the ultimate suffering - death on a cross. Nothing I encounter will ever compare to that.

In his book "Making Sense Out of Suffering," Peter Kreeft says that in becoming man, God transformed the meaning of our suffering. It is now part of his redemptive work.

Kreeft argues that "the only way to guarantee a world without evil is to create us unfree." To me, that just sounds boring. How would I learn to do things right if I never did them wrong?

So thank you, Adam and Eve, for opening my eyes to a whole new world.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Do you equate boring with holy living? Probably not, but's that kind of the way it sounds. I'm not sure the only way to guarantee a world without evil was to create people as robots. I'll have to think about that.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete